This is CNBC’s live blog covering all the latest news on the coronavirus outbreak. All times below are in Eastern time. This blog will be updated throughout the day as the news breaks.
- Global cases: More than 732,153
- Global deaths: At least 34,686
- US cases: At least 143,055
- US deaths: At least 2,513
The data above was compiled by Johns Hopkins University.
7:28 am: Trump extends distancing guidelines
President Donald Trump extended on Sunday evening the national social distancing guidelines to April 30 in an effort to keep the projected death toll in the U.S. from reaching 100,000.
Trump’s announcement walked back his previous remarks that he wanted the country to reopen for business by Easter. Public health experts have warned that loosening restrictions by Easter, on April 12, would result in unnecessary death and economic damage.
“Nothing would be worse than declaring victory before the victory has been won,” Trump said at an evening press briefing after suggesting that the coronavirus death rate would likely peak in two weeks. The president claimed Sunday that Easter was just an “aspiration” and he hopes the country will “be well on our way to recovery” by June 1. —Emma Newburger
7:25 am: Virgin Atlantic asks UK for financial help
Sir Richard Branson
Virgin Atlantic asked the U.K. government for emergency financial help in addition to the coronavirus package made available to all British companies, a source familiar with the situation said.
Virgin Atlantic, which is based in the U.K. and is 51% owned by Richard Branson’s Virgin group and 49% owned by U.S. airline Delta, made a proposal to the government’s adviser Rothschild and is hoping to get a response by the end of this week or early next week, the source told Reuters on Monday.
It was not clear whether Virgin could receive commercial loans and guarantees, or whether the government could take a stake in the airline. Britain’s Transport Minister Grant Shapps said in a report of a transport committee meeting published on Friday, that everything was on the table when asked if the government would consider taking stakes in airlines. —Reuters
7:21 am: Spain’s health emergency chief tests positive
A healthcare worker dressed in protective gear takes samples from a driver at a drive-through testing point for the COVID-19 disease at the University Hospital in Burgos on March 28, 2020.
Cesar Manso | AFP | Getty Images
Spain’s health emergency chief Fernando Simon, who leads the country’s response to the coronavirus epidemic and maintains regular contact with Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez, has tested positive for the virus, health official Maria Jose Sierra said.
Speaking at a daily news conference where she replaced Simon, Sierra said the trend in daily infections had changed since the introduction of lockdown measures, with new infections now rising at roughly 12% a day, compared with around 20% before March 25. —Reuters
7:18 am: Italy’s death toll surpasses 10,000 as prime minister warns of rising ‘nationalist instincts’
Italy is the worst-hit country by the pandemic so far in Europe, with the highest number of deaths and cases among its 60 million citizens. Now, it’s prime minister is warning that Europe is not doing enough to help Italy.
“If the EU does not live up to its vocation and its role in this historical situation, will citizens have more confidence in it or will they permanently lose it?,” Italy’s Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte asked during an interview with El Pais.
He added that the risk of a higher anti-EU sentiment was “obvious” as a result. “Nationalist instincts, in Italy, but also in Spain and elsewhere, will be much stronger if Europe is not up to the task,” he said. —Silvia Amaro
7:15 am: Apple supplier Foxconn’s profit down 24% in last quarter of 2019
Taiwanese electronics manufacturer Foxconn reported a 23.7% fall in profit in the last three months of 2019 as it braces for the impact from the coronavirus pandemic that has hit demand from key customers such as Apple.
Foxconn, which assembles iPhones at factories in China, reported net profit of $1.6 billion, according to Reuters calculations, slightly above average consensus estimates compiled by Refinitiv. The world’s largest contract electronics manufacturer did not give any explanation for the decline in the same period a year earlier.
Foxconn is among manufacturers worldwide grappling with the fallout from coronavirus restrictions that have disrupted supply chains and hurt demand. —Reuters
6:55 am: US crude dips below $20 as lockdowns hurt demand
Oil prices fell sharply, with U.S. crude briefly dropping below $20 and Brent hitting its lowest level in 18 years, on heightened fears that the global coronavirus shutdown could last months and demand for fuel could decline further.
Brent crude, the international benchmark for oil prices, was down $1.92, or 7.7%, at $23.01 by 1027, after earlier dropping to $22.58, the lowest since November 2002. U.S. West Texas Intermediate (WTI) crude dropped $1.03, or 4.8%, to $20.48. Earlier in the session, WTI fell as low as $19.92.
The price of oil is now so low that it is becoming unprofitable for many oil firms to remain active, analysts said, and higher-cost producers will have no choice but to shut production, especially since storage capacities are almost full.
“Global oil demand is evaporating on the back of COVID-19-related travel restrictions and social distancing measures,” said UBS oil analyst Giovanni Staunovo. —Reuters
6:43 am: Carnival’s Cunard extends suspension of cruises to May 15
Cunard’s Queen Mary 2 is among the ships registered in Bermuda.
Source: James D. Morgan | Cunard Line
Carnival’s luxury cruise ship operator Cunard said it would extend the suspension of all voyages by a month to May 15 due to the coronavirus pandemic. Carnival, also the operator of two coronavirus-stricken Princess cruises, has already temporarily suspended several of its ships due to concerns over the rapidly spreading COVID-19 crisis earlier this month.
Cunard, which extended the suspension from April 11, said it would provide a 125% credit for future cruise to travelers impacted by the suspension which can be redeemed against new booking before the end of March 2022.
Theme park operator Walt Disney and several other retailers have also extended temporary closures as the health crisis worsens. —Reuters
6:08 am: Sweden defends its more relaxed coronavirus strategy
While the rest of Europe imposes severe restrictions on public life and closes borders and businesses, Sweden is taking a more relaxed approach to the coronavirus outbreak.
Unlike its immediate neighbors Denmark, Finland, and Norway, Sweden has not closed its borders or its schools. Neither has it closed non-essential businesses or banned gatherings of more than two people, like the U.K. and Germany.
The country’s lead epidemiologist Anders Tegnell told CNBC Monday that although his country’s strategy to tackle the virus was different, the aim was the same.
“My view is that basically all European countries are trying to do the same thing — we’re trying to slow down the spread as much as possible to keep healthcare and society working … and we have shown some different methods to slow down the spread,” he told CNBC Monday.
“Sweden has gone mostly for voluntary measures because that’s how we’re used to working,” Tegnell added. “And we have a long tradition that it works rather well.” — Holly Ellyatt
5:53 am: Boris Johnson’s senior advisor Dominic Cummings has coronavirus symptoms
U.K. Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s senior adviser, Dominic Cummings, has symptoms of coronavirus and is self-isolating at home, Sky News said Monday.
He started developing symptoms over the weekend and will be staying in contact with the rest of the Downing Street team during his quarantine period, No 10 has confirmed, Sky reported.
Boris Johnson and his health minister, Matt Hancock, have already tested positive for the virus. — Holly Ellyatt
5:02 am: UK lockdown could last six months; US and Europe prepare for longer restrictions
The lockdown in the U.K. to stop the coronavirus outbreak could last for up to six months, government officials warned Sunday, as the U.S. and other European nations also announced prolonged restrictions on public life.
Speaking at the U.K.’s daily press conference on the latest coronavirus news, the U.K.’s deputy chief medical officer said a lockdown could last, in some form, for months. “Over time, probably over the next six months, we will have a three-week review,” Jenny Harries said, “We will see where we’re going.”
“We need to keep that lid on and then gradually we will be able to hopefully adjust some of the social-distancing measures and gradually get us all back to normal. So I think three weeks for review, two or three months to see whether we’ve really squashed it. But about three to six months ideally,” she said. — Holly Ellyatt
Read CNBC’s full coverage from the Asia-Pacific team overnight: Australia plans $80 billion more stimulus as global cases cross 700,000.